Mission and Vision
Our vision is to save lives of children and adults diagnosed with blood diseases by increasing the number of patients making it to transplant.
The Sunflower Fund is a donor recruitment centre and registry. We fight blood diseases like leukaemia through the recruitment of stem cell donors and maintaining a registry of potential donors committed to helping anyone in need of a life-saving stem cell transplant.
We fundraise to cover the cost of education and awareness about the need for and the process to become a blood stem cell donor as well as to cover the cost of the HLA tissue-typing test involved in the recruitment of donors. The Sunflower Fund also maintains a patient support fund to assist patients who are unable to afford costs associated with getting to transplant as well as being actively involved in creating a platform for support structures to assist patients, families and communities.
OUR KEY FOCUS AREAS:
Stem cell registry for Africa
- Through active global partnerships and alliances, we are building a registry of donors across Africa who are committed to helping anyone in need of a life-saving blood stem cell transplant.
Patient Support Fund
- We offer financial support for the cost associated with finding a donor and getting to transplant.
- Accessibility to treatment through actively engaging technology and research.
- In order to improve outcomes for patients in the African Diaspora who need a stem cell transplant, we jointly aim to recruit 100,000 donors of African ancestry by 2030 as part of the Stem Cell Registry Alliance (SCRA).
- We actively drive education and awareness about blood diseases as well as the need for and the process involved in becoming a blood stem cell donors and raise funds to cover the cost of tissue-typing tests as well as for patient support.